|

Monday, June 28, 2004

I'm not a Sage, I just play one on tv.

A real Sage is not Arrogant. There is really no need for Arrogance in their lives. So, it stands to reason that I am not a Sage, because I am surely very Arrogant.

Maybe one day Enlightenment or Satori will come over me, but for now I truly enjoy a good argument and laughing at people for their (IMHO...who am I kidding, there is nothing humble about my opinion) poor shoe choices.

Here is an excerpt from my favorite book on Taoism. Or rather, it's a book on his Taoist perspective of the Tao. ;) It's called The Tao is Silent by Raymond Smullyan. This chapter was snagged from here, and it's called:

10. The Tao and the Sage: They Never Argue . . .

Does the Tao ever argue? Of course not! With whom could it argue? At least, I have never heard it argue; it has never once argued with me. How unlike the Tao, in this respect, is God! The Old Testament is full of characters arguing with God about all sorts of things! But could you, in your wildest imagination, conceive anything as preposterous as arguing with the Tao . . . ? What about the Sage? Does he ever argue? Let us see!

CHINESE SAGE: Laotse said, "The good man does not argue; he who argues is not good."

WESTERN LOGICIAN: I disagree!

SAGE: You disagree with what?

LOGICIAN: With what you said!

SAGE: And what was that?

LOGICIAN: That the good man does not argue.

SAGE: Wrong!

LOGICIAN: What do you mean "wrong"?

SAGE: I never said the good man does not argue.

LOGICIAN: Of course you did! You distinctly said that the good man does not argue and that he who argues is not good.

SAGE: Nope! I merely said that Laotse said that.

LOGICIAN: Oh, all right! You knew what I meant.

SAGE: Who's being illogical now?

LOGICIAN: Oh, come off it! Why are you so argumentative?

SAGE: I am not being argumentative. I am merely being logical.

LOGICIAN: You are hardly being logical. I would say you are being irritatingly logical.

SAGE: Now, what kind of logic is that? If I am being irritatingly logical, then a fortiori [for that very reason] I am being logical.

LOGICIAN: Again you argue! Why are you being so argumentative? After all, as you said, the good man does not argue.

SAGE: I didn't say that! I said that Laotse said that.

LOGICIAN: And do you believe it?

SAGE: Do I believe what? That Laotse said that?

LOGICIAN: No, no! Do you believe that what Laotse said is true?

SAGE: Yes.

LOGICIAN: Oh, then you do believe that the good man does not argue.

SAGE: Yep!

LOGICIAN: So why didn't you say so?

SAGE: Why should I have?

LOGICIAN: There you go arguing again! You are so inconsistent!

SAGE: How so?

LOGICIAN: Because you admit that the good man does not argue, and you go on arguing with complete disregard of that fact.

SAGE: I am not being inconsistent. It just so happens that at the moment I feel more like arguing than being good.


I also found this chapter online:
Is God a Taoist. Trust me, one of the best chapters in the book. And always remember this..."My facetiousness is obviously only an annoyance reaction to your pedantry."